Monday, April 27, 2015

Cut It Out

Henri Matisse is a name I have heard and whose work I have seen before, but it wasn't until just now that I discovered that he created an entire body of work using paper cutouts. As it turns out some of the famous pieces I had seen were actually created using this method as opposed to painting, for which he is also quite famous. I am very fond of stencil because I feel it helps give my work a presentable and professional look and is easily repeatable. I don't have much confidence in my drawing and painting ability so I rely on stencils and rulers and tracing to render much of what I create so that the finished product on paper can be more similar to the idea in my mind with my limited skills and tools. This work is fascinating to me and I would like to do something like this myself in the future, perhaps somehow tying in photography to give it a personal touch. Matisse turned to this art form at the twilight of his career and was able to create them on such a grand scale with the help of an assistant, so the story goes. In addition to the sprawling wall sized installations he also made smaller sized, but no less amazing, framed pieces as well.












No comments:

Post a Comment