Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Paste, Pots, and Models

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to see Nigel Barker, of America's Next Top Model Fame, speak about his new book Models of Influence.



(This is me doing my best Nigel Barker pose.)

It was around this time that I volunteered to decorate one of the flower pots for campus and it seemed fitting for me to make America's Next Pot Model. I had never used wheat paste as a medium before, but had seen some street artists (like JR) use it to cool effect. I cut out pictures of various women from advertisements and catalogues and pasted them around the pot. I am pretty pleased with how the pot turned out, I sprayed some acrylic varnish to help protect from the elements but of course it stormed right after I finished and then continued to rain for a couple days. I would probably give the paste and varnish more time to dry the next time I do a project like this.

Action shot of pot pasting

I really enjoyed the wheat pasting and so I did a little research on other artists and found a video about Johanna Tagada. I would love to do something like this someday.. It looks like her recent work has been off the street, but the idea of street art and street photography is very enticing to me.

(website and instagram).







No comments:

Post a Comment