Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Ernie Trova

Having recently passed the century mark, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find locations for my daily self-portraits. Some days I have more time than others and that usually eases the pressure in terms of competing against a clock to find some thing suitable, but it also makes me more critical of potential locations. And so when the photo gods smile upon me and lead me to a perfect location, I am always eternally grateful. This happened to me the other day. While I was on my lunch break, I found out that I didn't have to return to work and decided to explore University City. I ventured down a side street because I thought I saw a potential wall and stumbled upon a parking lot surrounded by some really cool sculptures, one of which happened to be pink and perfect for my outfit. Some workers informed me that the sculptures were by one Ernest Trova. After making my self-portrait I took a few shots of some of the other sculptures. Whatever metal they were made of was really cool reflecting against the sun and set against the clear blue sky. I did a little research on Mr Trova and it seems like he was a renowned local artist and sculptor and even enjoyed some national fame. It was through his gift of 40 of his own works that the Laumeier Sculpture Park was initially established (another really cool place to photograph). And he also has a star on the St Louis Walk of Fame. I don't often take pictures of sculptures, but this was fun for me working different angles and doing something different than I normally do. It is fascinating to see how dynamic a static sculpture can be.











No comments:

Post a Comment